Skip to main content

Why NOT Knowing It All Is Necessary for Effective Leadership

Challenging the unknown
Taking control of your life is about being comfortable with the unknown. I became aware of this when I managed my restaurant. I thought I knew what I was doing, but I wasn't. Wondering if the business will make it tomorrow was a daily concern.
I have to be clear though, not knowing it all and relying on everybody else can be a mistake. I've found that people feel good when they contribute to a project or an idea. And taking credit for the contribution of others is detrimental to the group.

Many C-level executives and government officials don't have a clue on what they're doing. I have no statistics about this, but I believe this is true. There may also be times where it may seem like they know what they're doing, but in all honesty, they don't. How do I know? Try to notice how political leaders and business leaders react to issues related to their field. A good example that reflects what I mean (well, not so good for him) is Travis Klanick's career as CEO of Uber.

The closer you are at the top of the ladder, the more you realize that you don't have a clue about what you're doing. The world looks different from hindsight. As an executive, all you have is your intuition and your team's knowledge. Life would be easier if we'd be certain of the results of our actions. You think you know what's best until disaster strikes.

In all fairness to executives, most people in rank-and-file positions also don't know the reasons behind what they're doing. They do what they're told -- that's why they need leaders. It's easy to see what I mean when you suddenly put them in a sticky situation and make them accountable for their actions.



DECISION MAKING STARTS WITH CONFIDENCE. START MAKING DATA-DRIVEN DECISIONS

Get your FREE COURSE that talks about 6 steps that will help you start making data driven decisions!
* indicates required



Measuring progress for C-level executives is not as straight-forward as completing tasks. It is about delivering results -- which is often not easy to measure. Executives are responsible for the people who are responsible for the people who are responsible for the people who are responsible for the job. This long chain of accountability makes it difficult to measure the impact of a task. Strategic plans can take weeks, months, or years before you can see a significant result. Sometimes, it may not happen during the executives' term.

Fast feedback (sometimes instant) makes it easier to measure progress for rank-and-file positions. Some metrics can be measured daily. However, easy-to-measure metrics doesn't translate to an insignificant and easy job.

I used to get frustrated when my staff and I were not on the same page. Things that seemed common sense to me are uncommon to them. That's why the world needs leaders. People need guidance. We are naturally afraid of uncertainty. The world needs people who can face the dangers of tomorrow to reassure us of our safety for tomorrow.

The reason behind this post is to help you become comfortable with not knowing all the answers in your business. The more I accept this idea as a truth, the more I am sure about myself. It seems counter-intuitive but knowing that everyone else is "lost" one-way or another is liberating.

Last Updated: 2/9/2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Workforce Analytics for a Small Business

Reading time: 10 mins Workforce Analytics & Small Business Approaching your workforce as numbers and transactions is something that many new business owners are not comfortable with, myself included. No matter how robotic and heartless this is portrayed in movies, owners who take advantage of analysis through metrics create better working environments and, if leaders are good decision makers, it can increase employee satisfaction that can reduce employee turnovers. By all means, treat your employees as people. Lead your people. And leading people right means taking necessary and appropriate decisions. Business development is a continuous process. With data, businesses can keep up with the everyday challenges of businesses. Development and improvement rely on benchmarks, and what better way to monitor progress with data. It is difficult to improve on what you can't measure. The Importance of Human Resource Analytics While workforce analytics has been around for ...

Business Intelligence 101: How can data save your business from closing?

In business, making decisions require something more than intuitions. People in decision-making positions need confidence. Making data-driven decisions will not eliminate risk, but being informed increases confidence and reduces guess-work. Data helps businesses gain a competitive advantage over its competitors. These can range from understanding market conditions to improving business systems and operations. These improvements in business systems include things such as improvement in employee retention rate, and better inventory management, to name a few. With the advantages data brings to the business table, it has become a business asset in the modern world. Because if this, it can mean the difference between success and failure. Although data analysis is mostly done by companies who have the additional resources, our technological advances make data analysis available to smaller companies. Capturing data and data analysis is affordable that it can be done on a free cloud-b...

Top Three Reasons Why Business Is Difficult And What You Can Do About It

Image by iosphere at FreeDigitalPhotos.net It is widely known in the entrepreneurship world that 8 (sometimes 9) out of 10 new businesses fail in just 5 years. I'm pretty sure you've seen this statistic before but fortunately, an article by Paul Jarvis states why 8 out of 10 new businesses fail is a myth .